In 1912 BCER 961 was built by the American Locomotive and General Electric for the Oregon Electric as #21. It served as part of their fleet until 1946 when it was bought by the BCER brought to the lower mainland and renamed as 961.
Painted in a BCER maroon red the electric locomotive served the company until BCE was taken over by the BC Government in 1961. As part of the now BC Hydro properties the freight motor was painted yellow with a distinctive red arrow on its sides. Some Specs: weight 128 040 lbs; 38 feet in length and it has four 190 hp electric motors.
In 1980 the 961 was sold to Edmonton Transit and moved to Alberta to help in the expansion of that system’s transit operations. It was painted in Edmonton Transit colours, white and blue. and renamed as 2001.
Once the transit expansion was finished the locomotive was turned over to the Edmonton Radial Railway Society (ERRS) and was basically stored under a tarp for many years at Fort Edmonton.
In 2012 ERRS contacted the FVHRS and asked if the FVHRS would like the locomotive to come back to BC. The board of directors decided it would be a nice addition to our collection and it did fit within the society’s broad collection policy at the time.
In May 2014 trucks appeared in our Cloverdale compound with the freight motor and with the help of a 200T crane it was placed on tracks next to the car barn. The locomotive was a static display.