Experience a Part of Our Rich History
May 13, 2020 – news update
Like others, we are adjusting to the evolving world and changes due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
With the impending move to Phase 2 of the BC Restart program next week, the FVHRS Board of Directors met today and will hold regular updates over the next few weeks. These meetings are to evaluate the changes and consider our own restart process. As a 100% Volunteer run society we are also very aware that the majority of our Volunteers are seniors who belong to the highest risk group for COVID-19.
Our discussions are focused on what safety changes are needed to meet two very important criteria:
- What will provide a safe environment for our Volunteers
- What will provide a safe environment for our Visitors.
The FVHRS Board of Directors has made the following changes to our 2020 schedule:
- The Annual General Meeting (AGM 2020) for the society has been postponed from mid-April to Saturday October 17 2020. This is currently planned to take place at the Valley View Reception Centre in Surrey at 1pm. We will also consider virtual (on-line) and other methods for conducting this meeting.
The Agenda and other AGM materials will be sent to members 14 days prior to the meeting.
- The 2020 season start date remains fluid and dependent on a detailed review of how new protocols can be successfully created to address issues such as social distancing and meeting various COVID-19 health department mitigation suggestions and requirements.
We expect to determine whether a season start date is possible in the next few weeks.
- Our annual Volunteer Fair has been cancelled for this year.
- The Volunteer Orientation has been cancelled for this year.
Our regular weekly restoration and maintenance activities were paused for a number of weeks, and are re-starting with some changes in the Frank Horne Heritage Rail Discovery Centre.
We will be monitoring the situation and adjusting as conditions warrant.
Our EventBrite on-line booking system will be updated when we have a new opening date so you may book ahead for your journey in time on Surrey’s Heritage Railway.
We value the passion and effort of all our volunteers who strive to present this working example of life with the B.C. Electric Railway in the Fraser Valley.
Check back on this website for any updates on the return of BCER 1225 and BCER 1304 Connaught.
BCER power substation, Cloverdale
Surrey Archives collection